Thursday, February 28, 2013

Kovaikkai/Tindora Chutney


Kovaikkai , I was not so fond of this vegetable or have cooked with it for a long time.My mom on her last visit here, introduced this vegetable to me.She made kovaikkai fry with just red chilli & turmeric powder.Then I tried making the same fry along with potato.And it became staple at home when ever I amke more kuzhambu.Finally (after nearly 5+ years) I was brave enough to try a new one, Spicy chutney made with Kovaikkai .Came out really well and I am set for the next five years :D



What you need
Kovakkai/Tindora - 1 cup (cut)
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Channa dal - 1/2 tsp
Coconut - 1/4 cup (shredded)
Tamarind - a very small gooseberry size
Red chillies - 6
Garlic - 2 pods
Oil - 2tbsp
Curry leaves - a few
Salt - as needed
Water - if needed when you grind
How you will make

Heat oil in a pan in medium heat and then add urad dal, channa dal , fry until almost golden. Now add garlic, red chillies, curry leaves one after another .Fry for 2 minutes and add cut tindora now.Fry on medium flow until they are almost cooked.Finally add tamarind, coconut and salt. Saute until coconut changes into light brown colour. Switch off the heat and let this mixture cool.
Once it is cooled, grind this into a chutney.

NOTE : Saute Tindora on medium flame only. As tindora takes time to cook and you don't want rest of the ingredients to burn out. If you want you could saute just Tindora in a separate pan and grind it along with other fried ingredients.I had served it with Instant Ragi Dosa. Will post that recipe soon.





No comments: